Visits to Ukraine for international artists and cultural workers
Insha Osvita in partnership with the Prague Civil Society Centre as well as with Asortymentna kimnata and proto produkciia is inviting performing and visual artists, independent media journalists, critics, and curators of contemporary art in Europe, cultural managers and art producers from Germany, Austria, France, Italy, and Spain for one week visits to Ukraine. We invite art professionals who are interested to get their own impression from their experience of the current cultural context in Ukraine and to meet potential partners for future common projects.
The Russian full-scale war against Ukraine has had a critical impact on the humanitarian, social, cultural, artistic, environmental and other sectors. Moreover, the further it goes, the more profound and irreversible this impact is. Even after the victory, Ukraine will be recovering and rebuilding for a long time.
We understand that foreign news about events in Ukraine from a distance often sound unclear and unbelievable. We also fully understand that there is no fully safe space in current conditions in the country. But we see it important to create possibilities for international artistic exchange and two-sided circulation of ideas and experiences even in such difficult conditions. This project is an intention to see and try to understand how war affects a modern person, an artist and an art institution in particular, how it changes society, priorities, and roles.
We invite those art professionals who are interested in learning the current context in Ukraine and incorporate it in future work to one week visits in Kyiv. Those will include networking events, visits to areas that were under occupation, showcases of art projects or exchange events.
Who will join the visits?
We are inviting performing artists, visual artists, independent media journalists, critics, and curators of contemporary art in Europe, cultural managers and art producers from Germany, Austria, France, Italy, and Spain. Each of 5 visits will be tailor-made by a group of 6 professionals from the field. A group will be created by nominations from partner organizations. If you would like to join one of the groups, you can send us your interest request.
Calendar and topics of visits in 2023
- September 18-24 for performing artists
- October 9-15 for visual artists (including photography)
- October 16-22 for representatives of independent art / cultural media
- November 6-12 for critics and curators of contemporary art
- November 13-19 for cultural managers and art producers
We understand that the safety of the participants is a priority. We will instruct everyone in air raid safety, and provide first aid kits. All accommodation and events will be organised in locations with nearby shelters. Nevertheless, it should be clear that it’s not 100% secure and safe.
In the interest request, you can write questions, which you have concerning security issues.
Practical information and conditions
- We will provide travel costs, accommodation, meals, and cover all expenses related to the activities.
- There is no fee for project participants. The project is seen as a possibility for research and building up connections and contacts for future collaborations.
- If you are interested in participating in the project during autumn 2023, fill out the interest request via the link. We will be reviewing requests on regular bases and coming back with feedback with one week after receiving the request. We accept requests until 11 of August.
- If you have any questions, please contact us via Odarenko@proto-produkciia.com — project manager.